Old August 14th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default How do diagnose issue of computer resetting itself constantly, please help!

On 14 Aug 2006 00:59:58 -0700,
wrote:

I'm having an issue with my computer resetting randomly, sometimes it
happens once a day, sometimes it doesn't happen for a few days at a
time and other times it happens many times per day.

It's a P4 with 2gig of ram & gigabyte mainboard, and I have replaced
every piece of hardware on it and it still happens!!!

Then it's obviously hardware, or operating environment (case
or overly high ambient temp).

If merely windows encountering an error and rebooting,
disable that feature of windows and if you get a bluescreen,
write down the stop code and any other unusual message
details.

I've replaced, ram, video card, cpu, power supply (I now have
500watt), main board but not my usb devices.

Decent 500W or generic?

It basically just does a hard reset but doesn't go into the usual
blue screen, just reboots as if you hit the reset key.

I'm running barely anything on the os of the pc except for office,
antivirus (MacAfee) and virtual server 2005 r2. On the virtual servers
I run my dev environment etc...

So you mean windows. Do a clean install (can be on another
drive, wherever) and do not install this software yet.
Don't install the drivers either, seek newer /other driver
versions if you must but ideally you want to minimize the
variables as much as possible to isolate this. Do any of
this only after disabling windows reboot feature and
investigating stop codes (if any) and check the Event
Viewer.

At first I thought it was hardware related as it was just recycling the
power, however now I wonder whether is is software related as I have
noticed that when it boots up after a crash and goes into the "inform
Microsoft about this problem" screen, it mentions that a driver
caused the "stop error" but gives no more information than that.

I cant see any dump logs under the windows directory, where are they
usually kept and how do I examine them?

If anyone could help me out, on how to debug this, I would be eternally
grateful.

This is a hardware group but you failed to give a detailed
account of the hardware. Since it seems you have replaced
all hardware and mention no other environmental issues, your
problem is likely best posted in a software oriented forum
such as one dedicated to your version of windows, at least
until you can nail down which driver it was.