Old August 13th 04, 01:53 PM
Jason Cothran

"rstlne" wrote in message

| "Jason Cothran" wrote in message
|
| "Eric Fagan" wrote in message
| | PC Mall is selling an Athlon64 system for $1,199 (Cybertron #443255
page
| 75)
| | Has anyone here purchased this PC or do you all build your own
systems?
| | Is it any good? Who manufactures the motherboard? I called the 800
| number
| | ask
| | but the lady who answered didn't know what a motherboard was.
| |

| It is clearly listed on their site as an MSI board. And yes I build my
own
| systems . FWIW, the price looks a bit high to me for what's in it. I
| spent
| a couple minutes configuring that exact system at newegg and it came to
| about $830. Find someone local that custom builds systems and you should
| be
| able to get one like it for cheaper.
|

| The thing most people forget to add in is the 100$ (or so) for the OS and
| then the time that the other company has spent installing the OS and
| Software..

Actually I included the OS in that price. I saved it to a wish list on new
egg. It actaully came to about 850 instead of 830 after I found they did in
fact cary the exact same case. The computer was identical, except perhaps
drive brand since that wasn't listed. All other components/ brands/ models
were the same. 30 minutes installing an OS is definately not worth $350. I
wouldn't be broke if I tried to charge people that much for an OS install
and system assembly.

| If your on a dialup connection then it's probably worth the extra money as
| you'll probably be online for about 3 months to JUST get the inital
service
| packs .

Slipstream service pack 2 ... There are a grand total of 3 small updates
(one of which is just NET) when installing XP with SP2 slipstreamed.