Old February 22nd 19, 08:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Grant Taylor

Default "How Reliable are SSDs?"

On 2/21/19 10:50 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
Ugh! So it's a [WD] blog where the guy cautions *against* using 'drive
writes per day' because it's *not* a good metric for measuring drive
endurance, due to the fact that it doesn't give apples to apples
comparisons across drive capacities. He then goes on to say that TBW is
a better metric, with which I (and virtually everyone else) agree.

That's just the first thing I came across in a quick search while tired
brain dead.

The question remains: is there an SSD manufacturer that uses 'drive
writes per day' in their marketing materials to help customers figure
out the endurance properties of their product? So far, no.

I don't know about drive manufactures. But I do know that writes per
day is the unit of measure that all of my colleagues and all of the
vendors that we've been talking to for enterprise drives over the last
18 months. Vendors such as:

· Cisco
· HP
· Dell
· Supermicro
· Other white box vendors

As I write that list I wonder if maybe it's server manufacturers /
vendors / OEMs that use drive writes per day and not actual drive
manufacturers.

I'm not saying that drive writes per day is proper, just that I've seen
it used a LOT more than total bytes written.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die