Old February 22nd 19, 02:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

Default "How Reliable are SSDs?"

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:19:12 -0600, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"How Reliable are SSDs?"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-reliable-are-ssds/

"What’s not to love about solid state drives (SSDs)? They are faster
than conventional hard disk drives (HDDs), more compact, have no moving
parts, are immune to magnetic fields, and can withstand more shocks and
vibration than conventional magnetic platter disks. And, they are
becoming available in larger and larger capacities while their cost
comes down."

"We’re now seeing SSDs with capacities that used to be reserved for HDDs
and at prices that no longer make our eyes water. 500 GB SSDs are now
affordable (under $100), and 1 TB drives are reasonably priced ($100 to
$150). Even 2 TB SSDs fall into a budget range for putting together a
good performance desktop system ($300 to $400)."

"The bottom line question is: do SSD drives fail? Of course they do, as
do all drives eventually. The important questions we really need to be
asking are 1) do they fail faster than HDDs, and 2) how long can we
reasonably expect them to last?"

Good article, but they could have added one more paragraph to deal with
the questions and differences around:
2.5" SATA SSDs
SATA m.2
NVMe/PCIe m.2

Maybe there will be a follow-up article at some point.