Old June 20th 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Fedora Core 5 on Compaq Proliant 2500

Jeffrey Alsip wrote:
NewsReader wrote:

The FC5 disks are larger (more data) than previous FC
releases and I have seen a number of early CDROM drives that will fail
to read all the data. If you can't read part of the disc and need what's
on it you'll get a failed installation - happened to me with a DL360
(IDE drive) and a set of FC5 discs which worked perfectly on another system.

That makes sense to me. The 2500 came, stock, with a 2x or 4x CD Drive.
Are you suggesting that this drive should be upgraded first? I know
that a good working 48x drive can be picked up for around $5...and you
would certainly be happier down the road.

Jeff

I'm suggesting that the media check is a required part of the install
process and should be completed for all of the discs to determine if the
drive can read them. If you also want more speed, go for the upgraded
drive. But you need to be sure the discs are fully readable on whatever
drive you choose as a part of troubleshooting an installation problem.

It's a black-box problem-solving exercise. You have two objects which do
not work reliably together. Which one is bad? Maybe both are... How can
you figure it out...