Old January 11th 06, 12:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Rails for Proliant 6400R...

In article , Robert Bates wrote:
I've found rails at Home Depot- in the form of their heavy duty kitchen
drawer slides for less than half of the price for the genuine ones. As luck
would have it, the inner rails even fit these.

Really? I'd be curious if they'd be beefy enough for this application
as some of these boxes are quite heavy (but not my 6400R which is only 4U IIRC),
but my old 5500 was probably close a 100lb loaded which I'd guess is the max
capacity of those drawer slides from HD.. What did you use yours to hold --
something heavy or light?

I guess I'd prefer to go with the real-deal just in case I need to
get something that I'm sure isn't going to fail one day and drop
my server on the floor of the rack.. Most of the HD rails are either 75lb
or 100lb capacity after looking through their site.. The nice thing
about some of the real ones are that they (sometimes) come with the cable
retractors as well which is a plug plus in my opinion to keep the cables
nice and neat.. Comments?

I'll have to admit that I really like this stupid cabinet I got for free,
as it's just the right height to put my LCD monitor on as well as the
keyboard/mouse for those rare occasions when I actually need/want to
use the console for something.

-- Rick