Old February 9th 05, 12:26 AM
alewis

Default 6400R questions

Hi

New here, but looks like a good forum :-)

Just acquired a 6400R server, fitted with 2 x PIII Xeon 500 2mb CPUs.

What is the max CPU speed this server will take? I'm wondering if ROM
upgrade (or unspecified DIP settings) will allow better than the 5.5x100 -
specifically I'm looking for 7x100 so I can use a pair of 700MHz Xeons - I
find 500MHz a little slow for MS SBS2003. In turn, SBS2003 wont use four
CPUS

Anyone had any luck using MegaRAID cards in a Compaq box? I have an
Enterprise 1600 U160 that has issues (gets to 75% scanning SCSI devices,
than takes 1hr to complete). Flashed with latest BIOS which lengthend
this time! An Elite 1600 has no issues (even with Dell PERC firmware).

Any ideas where I can get a replacement optical drive? DVD and/or CD-R
would be nice, but even better would be a slimline SCSI device.... IDE is
crap for OS installation, especially in PIO mode.

Thanks in advance
Brgds
Alan

And if it wont go higher than 550MHz, anyone interested in a matched pair
of PIII 933MHz 256kb Xeons?