Old January 25th 04, 08:20 PM
... et al.

J. Clarke wrote:

.... et al. wrote:

NuT CrAcKeR wrote:

"... et al." wrote in message
s.is.invalid...

NuT CrAcKeR wrote nothing besides:

KB... Not MB

kB ... Not KB

[ or put differently, why is it that most people use just this (binary)
prefix with a different case to the normal use of decimal prefixes as
used throughout science as per the SI Unit Prefixes endorsed by the
International System of Units ? ]

No, KB for KiloBytes. The K and M are always capitalized. Its the ending
that confuses most people.

Where are they always capitalized? Only in the computer-related fields!
Why there if nowhere else?

kilo is designated "k" when used as a prefix in SI units.
mega is designated "M" when used as a prefix in SI units.

While the unit designation (b vs. B) do confuse people because so many
writers doesn't know and/or care about the difference or they think the
meaning is given by the context, the use of nonstandard capitalization
of the prefix (only for Kilo, not for Mega etc) _should_ confuse people.
That was kinda the point of my post, while nitpicking on a nitpicker ;-)

snip

According to the NIST, "k" denotes decimal 10^3, while "Ki" denotes the
closest power of 2, 2^10 or decimal 1024. Perhaps that's the source of the
confusion?

kibi's, mebi's, and gibi's ...,
now that something you see all the time ... Not !
No, i really don't think that's it. We're missing the i's in KB and GB
and so on, at least i never see them.

Links for anyone curioius:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

I just came to think that the reason might be that it's a remnant from
an earlier computer era (like FORTRAN, M$-DOS and such) where lower-case
letters hadn't been invented yet. Can that be it?

NIST? Something needed in parallel to ANSI? I had never heard of that
USoA institute before.

Ok, i'll stop flogging the dead horse now ..., this really has nothing
to do with Nvidia videocards, now is it?

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.