Old July 13th 19, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 4:32:16 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 06:45:26 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 7:46:37 AM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:09:03 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:51:30 PM UTC+2, Char Jackson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:58:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

This year I will probably buy a new computer, I will probably wait for the 16 core ryzen, I've wait 13 years to buy a new computer and somebody I know thinks I should wait 2 more months to get the 16 core part lol.

There's always something newer and better just around the corner. Sooner
or later, if you're going to buy, you just have to jump.

For now I will investigate motherboards somewhat better to see which motherboard can actually power such a 16 core beast.

I am kinda a fan of ASRock though I never used their motherboards for a long period, but what I like about their boards is "overheat" protection which some claim every motherboard has but I am not so sure about that.

Anyway their Tachi X570 motherboard and especially the RGB looks very good/amazing !

But there is one thing that truely disappoints me a lot and that's two things actually:

1. First of all it only has 1 ethernet port ?! WTF where they thinking ?! How the **** do I connect my old computer and new computer AND INTERNET ?! without having to use some ****ing complex router crap ?! Big problem there.

Use an Ethernet switch to connect the two computers together. Unmanaged
8-port gigabit switches start at less than $15.

What part of 1 gigabit doesn't cut it don't you understand LOL.

Sorry, I thought you were asking a serious question. My mistake.

It was a bit harsh but that's to point out to you your oversight of mentioning a 1 gigabit router that doesn't cut it ?!

In what way doesn't it cut it? You had two concerns and I addressed both
of them. The two things that you were concerned about aren't a problem
at all.

1. You don't need more than 1 Ethernet port to be able to connect to a
second PC and to the Internet.
2. You don't need to transfer 50TB of data over Ethernet when you can
simply bring the entire drive over to the new PC.

HOLY****.

HOW DEEP DOES YOUR STUPIDITY GO ?! LOL.

So you want me to risk 50 TERRABYTES OF DATA... by moving the harddisks ?! LOL.

FAT CHANCE ! LOL.

SO YOU WANT ME TO OPEN MY 12.000 EURO PCS... **** AROUND WITH THEM... RISK DAMAGING THEM.

NOPE...

THE WHOLE IDEA IS TO PREVENT HAVING TO DO THAT.

Especially when it's something critical like an old computer that badly needs a data transfer to a new PC.

Another concern is data transfer bit errors.

IBM states that with these terrabyte disks... there is the possibility of data tranfser error... just from the drives themselfes.

What data error rates are for ethernet 10 GbE is unknown to me at present time.

Perhaps I need to create a new file transfer tool that transfers it 100% reliably as possible.

By sending the file and then reading the file back and transmitting it back for verification.

This tool should then also avoid caches and other data caches were data could either be lost on power failures...

Or if data was written back errornously to drive... but then read back from errorless cache.

So to be sure data was written flawlessly... the data caches need to be flushed... or the file transferred back at a later time... during the file transfer when there is perhaps no caching.

For now I consider data caching a threat to reliable data transfer for these vast quantities of data.

Perhaps brand new file transfer has to be created to work around these hazards.

As data grows perhaps this will become a new phenomenon.... data errors in transfers... even though there is crc32 and other integrity checking

Integrity checking algorithms might simply not be sufficient anymore !

Thoughts from morons ? LOL

Bye,
Skybuck.