Old April 17th 18, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default EPSON XP830 Problem

wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 09:52:20 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 4/17/2018 7:36 AM,
wrote:
Darn!
I really like this Epson XP830 AIO.
It is printing just fine, but now, suddenly, it will not scan sheets
via its ADF. Even a single 8.5X11 sheet jams half-way thru the ADF on
the top. Anyone else have/had this problem? If so, how did you deal
with it? I should add that it scans single sheets on the glass itself
fine. I have found nothing on this problem in Google.

Thanks

Al

Jams, as in hitting some immovable object, or jams, as just not moving? If
the latter then cleaning whatever feed rollers there are is a good first
step. There are also sometimes rubber 'brake' blocks which hold all but the
top (bottom?) sheet in position which can stand cleaning. Also, look for
sensors, sometimes mechanical switch arms and sometimes optical which can
have problems. The latter can become dusty over the years.

I propose this based on taking care of literally hundreds of devices over
decades, mostly printers, which feed sheet paper. Sheet feeding can be a
surprisingly tricky proposition but in consumer products it is almost
always rollers in some form doing the job and they all inevitably pick up
paper dust which reduces their effectiveness.

Thanks for reply.

This printer feeds one or more sheets from a so-called ADF on the top
of the printer to the top of the scanner glass. The feed reverses the
paper flow, left then to right. Something seems to 'grab' the paper
sheet, as if the paper seems to hit something. I was surprisedwhen I
found that I could hold the hinged ADF top up while I watched the
paper flow. Of course the scan is no good becuse outside light ruined
the scanned result. So clearly the jam would seem to be NOT in the
reversing roller-feed, but somewhere on the scan glass and its
frameworking? Of course when I hold the top open, the paper just
flows there loosely. So the jam would seem to be when the paper is
finshed and should lay on top of the glass all while the top be
closed. .

BTW, I cannot find any Epson tech support about this problem, just
so-called experts wanting to charge me to even discuss my problem.
Things have changed it seems.
Thanks again
Al

Is the paper supposed to make a hair-pin turn, then go up through
a hole, to get to the "under-tray" ? I couldn't find the right picture
of the XP-830, and so I used the Epson WF-2650 picture as a stand-in for
your paper path.

https://s31.postimg.cc/tkr2tmo9n/paper_path.jpg

Something must stick down, to "coax" the sheet to go up
through that hole.

That's the only option I could come up with, because
I couldn't see a good way for the paper to move along
the document table and end up in the tray if it slid
smoothly all the way across the glass. If that happened,
there's no way to get the paper into the "under-tray".

Paul