Old June 4th 04, 01:06 PM
Gene Puhl

(matiii) astounded us with:
om:

Hi,

I got Duron 700 on Gigabyte nForce2 GA-7N400 mobo (I know, $h1tty cpu
on good mobo - I'll buy a new one when I have some cash). I got myself
a better cooling and I want to overclock D700 to 1GHz, because AFAIK
now it runs in asynchronous mode with system bus 100, and memory at
200 (got PC3200).

So the reasonable combination seems 5x200, right? Correct me if I'm
wrong. Now, I have to unlock multiplier in Duron, so I've bought
conductive paint, I closed L1 bridges and I wanted to set jumpers on
mobo to 5x, then change FSB to 200 in BIOS. Unfortunately system
refuses to POST, when it has multiplier set to manual, so I had to
switch it back to auto and additionaly clear CMOS. The only exeption
is when I set multi to 7x (a default one in Duron), it works then too.

Another thing I don't get is FSB setting in BIOS - no matter if I
choose 100, or 200, CPU-Z reports that it runs at 100 and, of course,
CPU runs at 700. I want FSB (or system clock as WCPUId calls it) to
run at 200. There is another jumper on mobo, clk_sw - manual says it
should be OFF, when using FSB 100 or 200. It *is* off, and when I
tried changing it, the system wouldn't POST either. Duron
specification says maximum FSB is 200, so what's the story?

The Duron is "double pumped", an FSB of 100mhz is really 200mhz to the
system. The Spitfire (and Morgan cores up to 1400mhz, IIRC)run at 100mhz,
that's it...If you've unlocked the processor, raise your multiplier, not
the FSB.

--
Gene P