Old June 23rd 03, 07:22 PM
Derek Wildstar

"Folk" wrote in message

Sounds reasonable to me, given Creative's track record on PCI/DMA
issues with the VIA chipsets.

Yeah, while I don't like to hold past failures against a company or a driver
suite, Creative's technical track record is alarmingly shabby in this
regard.

The worst flaw is as mentioned, the horrendous failure to release the PCI
bus..I think the term for that arbitration is 'bus parking'. It almost broke
the Audigy 1 for a huge class of users

The average end user only hears it as stuttering, or choppy frame rates in
certain rendered games. I thought for sure the Audigy 2 would have corrected
for the sins of the father, and while most people seem to have success, far
too many do not. Which is a shame, it's a superior product in other regards.

VIA isn't blameless, but they have certainly been much more co-operative
than Creative in fixing these issues, their frequently updated 4-in-1's are
evidence of that.