Old January 9th 13, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Ant[_3_]

Default Need Advice to Replace GeForce 7950GTOC With a DirectX11 NvidiaCard

On 1/8/2013 2:03 PM PT, Paul typed:

The fan revving on the 7950 is normal. It's designed to run at
a high fan setting, until the driver loads. Then the fan is turned
down by the driver. There's only one problem with that - if you
happen to boot Linux while using the 7950 (like a LiveCD), the fan
could well stay at the top setting for the entire section. The
driver code might be in the NVidia-produced driver, but
not in the default Linux driver.

Yeah, I saw this behavior too with my old GeForce 8800 GT video card and
the closed NVIDIA binary drivers in Debian. I used to exit X to idle
console mode, but that made my video card fan spin loud and fast.

I hated that behavior enough, I control the video card fan
separately. The setting the driver uses, is now irrelevant.
The fan runs off a separate power path. I adjusted the fan
voltage, so I get the same fan speed as before (when the
driver was under control). It means I have the nuisance of a
few extra wires, right next to my video card.

Is it difficult/hard to do?
--
"For example, the tiny ant, a creature of great industry, drags with its
mouth whatever it can, and adds it to the heap which she is piling up,