Old September 22nd 15, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
BugHunter

Default Old XP pc died?

VanguardLH schreef op Zo 20 Sep 2015 om 17:44:
BugHunter wrote:

No, the spring metal wire hooks in a kind of tabs who are solderd at
the board. A 'problem' is I have to demounte the whole board becouse
the solderside is not reachable now.

If the spring wire ends are simply hooked into tangs soldered on the
motherboard, why do you need to unmount the motherboard to get to its
underside? Just unhook the spring wire ends from the tangs.

Yhere is one tang loose. At a sunny day, or
at a rainy day, I go beginning with it. It
is not my main pc, so I take it easy. The
first thing ill try, is solder the tang in
the board an than use thermal paste for the
sink.

One of the tangs? or tabs? is loosened. It looks like not soldered,
there is no solder on it. I have to desmount the board for to see the
solderside of the board. But its a tough job for me.

The tangs don't need to be soldered. They may be merely press-fitted
into holes in the mobo or there bases spread apart to keep them in
place. There is no circuity going to the spring wire. It's just a
physical mounting.

That should meaning the chip is died. I try
it with solder and will see how it goed.

Are you claiming the tangs in the mobo won't hold down the ends of the
spring wire? Will the spring wire end pop out of the tang because it is
loose in it mounting in the mobo?

Yes.

Is the tang loose because of Paul's suggestion of bad choice of solder
(it is probably all the same solder used when the PCB was passed over a
wave soldering machine)? Could also be the pads on the mobo got ripped
off the mobo. You could just add a blob of solder so it is bigger than
the hole in the mobo (but that would require getting at the underside of
the mobo). As long as you cannot pull the tang out of the mobo then the
tang is still usable. Have you tried sliding the end of the spring wire
under or into the tang to see if it holds?

It is loose, one of the two. If I can mount
it, there is no problem, except the chip is
died. I will see it.

Bye, BugHunter.