Old July 3rd 05, 12:45 AM
kony

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 23:42:06 +0200, "Tal Fuchs"
wrote:

I want to replace my old FX5700LE with a new card. The card will be used for
3D gaming BF2, HL2
It must be an AGP card.
I don't live in USA so no Newegg.com please.

Perhaps you should mention where you are then?

Does the below list mean you are considering ALL of these?
I mean, that's a wide variation in price and your budget is
unknown. IMO, you should search for a 6800, not "LE" and
not "GT", the plain 6800 is between the two but priced
closer to the LE.

What is the rest of the system like?
There isn't much point in buying a $260 card for an old
system, but if it's a late-model motherboard it might make a
little more sense.

HL2 doesn't "have" to have a fast card, your FX5700 should
run it, though only in DX7 or DX8 mode and little to no
FSAA. For BF2, check Google for benchmarks of the cards you
consider, keeping in mind that you probably want an average
framrerate of at least 50FPS so it doesn't dip below 30FPS
very often on more demanding parts of the games.

Here are some options:
Club3D 6600 256MB - 170$
Club3D 6600GT 128MB - 260$
Gainward 6600 Ultra 1780 256MB - 175$ (Is there any 6600 Ultra ?)
Gainward 6600GT Ultra 128MB - 265$
Gigabyte 6600 128MB - 180$
Gigabyte 6600GT 128MB - 250$
GIL Forsa 6600 128MB - 150$
Leadtek 6600 256MB - 185$
Leadtek 6600GT 128MB - 260$
Sparkle 6600GT 256MB VIVO - 280$

Another sto
Leadtek 6600 256MB - 175$ (3 YRS warrenty)
Leadtek 6600GT 128MB - 250$ (3 YRS warrenty)

XFX 6600GT 128MB - 265$
XFX 6800LE 128MB - 230$

(All prices include all taxes)

By default, the easy answer is to suggest you buy the
highest performing card, which will cost near (if not) the
most, unless your system is now over ~ 18 months old, in
which case you should upgrade IT first or only buy the
cheapest card. Maybe buying the cheapest 6600GT is a good
compromise.