Old December 12th 04, 06:14 AM
J. Clarke

JP wrote:

I'm looking for a reliable "cloning" program. What I want to do is simply
clone (not image) my C: drive to my D: drive, so that in the event of a C:
drive failure I could just unplug the data cable from C:, plug it into D:,
adjust the BIOS, boot and go with a hard drive that would be identical to
where I last backed up by making the clone and without doing anything
else.
(This is a cable-select configuration.) I had PowerQuest's DirveImage
which had a utility called DriveCopy that did this very well, but when I
installed Service Pack 2 to my Win XP, it no longer worked. So I bought
Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 which includes Ghost 9.0. Ghost's Copy
Drive feature appears to be terribly flawed with SP2, yielding error
message E7C3000F among other problems. Symantec's technical support
acknowledged that it is a known issue with no solution (but no word of
this
on their Web site). Even worse, they gave me time-consuming possible
solutions which cost me many hours of testing to no avail. I even used
Memtest86. I see a lot of information on imaging on these boards but very
little on simply copying (cloning) one internal hard drive to another. I
looked into Seagate's DiskWizard, but the folks there correctly state that
it's not made for this and it doesn't quite work right for cloning. Drive
Snapshot apparently does not have this capability. I'm looking for a
program that will do what PowerQuest's DriveCopy did, and after cloning I
need to be able to immediately test the results by powering down,
switching the data cable from C: to D:, boot into the BIOS then directly
into XP with exactly what I had on the old C:---just like I used to do
when I would test
DriveCopy's clone. And I need this program to be known to work with SP2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you just mirror the drives?

--
--John