Old September 7th 15, 01:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.mobile.android
Norm X

Default Android for my Acer Aspire One

On 2015-07-04 8:53 PM, Norm X wrote:
Hi,

This message is X-posted to alt.comp.hardware & comp.mobile.android.

My Acer Aspire One netbook no longer boots. In one case I blame
Microsoft. I used update on my Win7 partition and now, no matter what I
do, I end up with a blue screen. In another case, I messed up the
drivers on the WinXP partition. I had graduated to a faster SDXC card
and I tried to remove an unwanted device driver and I was not careful.
It is the same story for the WinXP partition, blue screen.

My 2008 Acer Aspire One is a nice piece of hardwa three USB ports,
two SD ports, Ethernet, a 600x1024 screen & an Intel Atom CPU. It now
has 1.5 GB RAM installed. It originally came with an 8 GB Intel Z-P230
SSD system drive that was sadly deficient. I have replaced that with a
nominally 32 GB SuperTalent SSD, that is pretty solid. That much storage
allowed me to partition and dual boot WinXP and Win7.

Now that Windows only gives a blue screen, wisdom dictates that I keep
the hardware and throw away Windows. I have a couple of different Linux
that boot from partitions on an external USB HHD, but Linux is not the
answer. Like Windows, I think Android thrives on an internal system drive.

Readers comments on installing Android on my x86 Acer netbook are most
welcome. I know that x86 versions of Android are out there but I am
hoping for some high numbers like KitKat 4.4, or whatever.

Help me please with an ISO URL.

As is my habit, I am going to answer this myself since I did not get a
good answer from the news groups.

I downloaded android-x86-4.4-r2.iso from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/android-x86/
(android-x86-4.4-r3.iso) is now the current release.
One needs to accept a little trial and error for this project.
I installed Android 4.4 onto a low profile 8GB Sandisk Cruzer fit USB
flash. Grub offers four boot selections, one of which support my VGA HD
monitor. Android 4.4 is very crisp and clean in appearance on an HD
monitor. Android 4.4 recognizes and reads the file systems on my exFAT
SDHC card and my external USB HDD. It runs well with 1.5 GB RAM
installed and I have not come close to using all memory. After some
error, I selected 2045 MB user storage and now I have a lot of room for
apps from Google Play. The HP printer plugin connects to my wireless
inkjet printer.
According to claims, Android 4.3 started to support TRIM for SSD storage
so maybe this install will last many years.
In conclusion, Android-x86 can restore spark into an old Acer Aspire One.