Old July 2nd 08, 07:54 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Will

Default Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and
copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the entire
physical drive, obviously.

Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire
drive.

Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like
on a
particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions
on that drive.

Are you using TrueImage from Windows desktop, or are you using the boot CD
you can create from TrueImage?

And probably you are using version 10?

The limitation I am seeing may be just for the boot CD, and it may also be
for version 9.

--
Will