Old July 2nd 08, 07:24 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Default Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

Will wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the
backup image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't
find any option to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive.

Corse you can. That has to be restoring a partition tho, not the entire physical drive, obviously.

Instead it just wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

Thats just plain wrong. You can restore a partition to anywhere you like on a
particular physical drive, including over any of the existing partitions on that drive.