Old July 2nd 08, 05:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

Default Utility to Image Hard Drive to File under Windows

Will wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Will wrote

Which imaging utilities can read either a DOS or NTFS partition and copy
the image to a file on an NTFS file system?

If you really meant write instead of the word copy, then any of
the major imagers will do that fine. I prefer Acronis True Image.

I already tried TrueImage 9.01 from their boot CD. It makes the backup
image of the partition, but when you go to "restore" I don't find any option
to restore to any arbitrary location on the hard drive. Instead it just
wants to overwrite the original partition or entire drive.

The terabyteunlimited utilites will restore to the start of any free
space and also overwrite a partition. Using bootitng you can then slide
and resize partitions any way you want, or make a temporary partition to
make the free space start where you want the restored partition. Note
that the Image utilities are in their versions 2, while bootitng, which
can also do partitions, makes incompatible ver. 1 images. However you
can also dowload ver. 1 of the Image utilites when you buy the ver. 2;
you can intall both versions of Image for Windows. The ver.2 Image
products can do a byte-by-byte verify of a restore.
---
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com