Old April 7th 04, 02:54 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Local Net wrote:
I'm looking for a inexpensive motherboard that will take my SDRAM memory and
a cheap processor.

I have a big tower that had my Pentium 166 which I retired 5 years ago. The
case, fans and 250W Power Supply are in good shape. I want to modify the
case to fit the motherboard.

Don't care if the motherboard is refurbished or not, I just don't want spend
more than $100 on the motherboard and processor. On board video would be a
plus but not a biggie.

I've just started researching this and would appreciating any and all
opinions.

thanks

Assuming it's an ATX case I'd go with the asus A7N266 at about $50
with onboard video and NIC. I've used a bunch of them.

Just add a CPU, and memory. You are talking about $150 for the core of
a very nice midrange 256MB system.

IMHO, trying ot reuse old memory complicates the selection of
motherboards, but I admit that I can't keep memory part names in my
head. I work out the best buy every time I buy new boards. Memory is
real cheap these days. $60/256MB

250watts sounds small for a 5 YO system. A "big tower" with a 250w
PSU sounds strange. Keep in mind that the PSU is old and could fail
any day.

--
Al Dykes