Old December 23rd 09, 10:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

Default Catalyst 9.12 and Star Wars Battlefront II ? HD5770 problems ? Not worth the price ?

"Peter Dassow" wrote in message
It seems to be a big problem, playing Star Wars Battlefront II (patched to
official v1.10) means pain with ATI cards !
I recently changed my graphics card from a nVidia 9800GT to a Sapphire
HD5770 (Vapor-X). That was really disappointing, because I got only a
boost from 12000 to 14000 points at 3DMark 2006, compared to the old
9800GT. But I was really surprised when starting Battlefront II - now it's
slow, and I have a really high CPU load on *all* cores on my Intel Q6700
(and that's really enough for that game at 1440x900 pixels).

It seems to be related with that piece of **** named Catalyst software,
but I'm not 100% sure. I can be related in general with ATI cards, too.
I read already some news entries that some guys recommended to set the cpu
affinity of the game to only one core, but then I got not 80% load, I got
100% load and it's definitely not playable anymore.

At the moment I am sure the HD5770 is not worth the price, because also
all other games are not running faster than before.
The card itself is silent and keeps a low temperature.
No, I do not have any issue with my power supply.
I run the same system I have used before with my nVidia 9800GT card, and
it seems that this just points out the maturity of the card or the drivers
for that card.
Also, I have multi monitor issues, I got "flicker" if I change the gpu
clock with ATI overdrive to just 1 MHz above the (fixed) bios gpu clock
speed. I already checked that this is an issue with the power saving in 2D
mode. If you manage to set the GPU speed with AMD GPU Clock Tool, it works
without "flicker", but there is no power saving in 2D anymore then.

If anybody has an explanation for this disaster, please let me know.

Did you uninstall all the Nvidia software before you installed the ATI
stuff? As far as not being worth the price, it all depends on what you paid
for it.