Old August 17th 15, 09:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Foxconn motherboard bios updated today ! ;) (MB: NF4SK8AA-8KRS)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Yeah I looked into it further today/now... my system completely back
together so that nice.

Boot order is also properly.

Only thing which was kinda weird is soundcard set to onboard audio
instead of x-fi elite pro... so have to change that manually, might have
to disable onboard audio in bios if this issue remains.

Disabling onboard audio in the BIOS won't help.

Windows 7 has the icon in the lower right corner, and it hides the
Playback and Record dialogs. So everything sound related is there,
if you figure out what to click.

In the Playback, all the registered sound devices will be listed.
Select the one you want as the "Default", and it will be used
as your output device.

You can also check Device Manager ("devmgmt.msc") and see
whether the x-fi elite has the sound driver installed. Once the
driver is verified to be working, go back to the Playback
dialog and select it.

Could be interesting if bios has an option to specify which audio
solution should be main or so... but maybe bios has nothing to do with
sound detection and sound use and such... probably a windows thing.

Another issue which pops up lately is the breakout box/volume knob not
working... that I usually solve that by log off/log in... but this time
a reboot was required to get it working again...

I suspect it's possibly a software bug in creative labs software... or
caused by gsm signals.

Anyway after booting which now also goes really fast the following two
issues remain:

1. one svchost.exe will consume 50% cpu for a long time... multiple
minutes... this is windows update... I am kinda ok with that... as long
as it stops after these minutes... shame that it has to take so long
though... but that's what sleep is for to prevent that next time or so.

Even if you're not using it, install Internet Explorer 11.
Then, you can search online for Internet Explorer Cumulative
Update August 2015, and see if an update was offered in July
or August. You want one that is as up to date as possible.
I found a June one, installed it, but it wasn't recent enough.
Either the July or August one will help.

There are other "classes" of updates with a long history that
should be cleaned up too. Internet Explorer 11 plus patch, got
me from 40 minutes to 10 minutes of excessive CPU usage.

Even with SP1 installed, all 200 security patches and the optional
ones, it'll still take five minutes before the CPU wastage stops.

2. one other issue is another svchost.exe... also concumsing 50% cpu...
so on dual core system this means 100% used which is less ideal...
however this only takes 2 minutes or so... it's the plug and play
service... I suspect it's caused by one unknown device in device manager
or so...

(visible via resource manager selection doesn't give any further
information about what plug and play is doing.)

I don't know how to diagnose a PNP problem. Look in Device Manager
for a "yellow exclamation" mark, as it might indicate the problem
device.

I also saw a GWX.exe shortly it don't nag though... but that's get
windows X advertisement..

Hmmm there was something else I wanted to write... but forgot what it
was... hmmm... thinking...

Hmm I guess I will have to go into bios anyway... cause floppy drive is
still enabled... it's not in the pc anymore... maybe that could be the
cause of unknown device and/or plug and play usage... so I ll try and
disable that see how that goes...

Good idea. Disable Floppy.

I'll also disable onboard audio chip... I don't use it anyway so that
might save some troubles...

This will make no significant difference. Only the Playback selector
in the lower right corner, that's what counts.

I was kinda surprised the system booted... maybe that was what I wanted
to write... I only seemed to have swapped power cables... and maybe this
changed boot order ? I cannot imagine that only swapping power cables
would trigger that... sata cables remained the same...

You ever witnessed boot order swapping just by swapping power cables ?
Maybe it changed because I set boot order yesterday or so...

Ok time for me to dive back into my bios !

Bye for now, thanks for you posting !
Skybuck.

Not by power cables. Swapping SATA cables, yes, that
makes a difference. Adding or removing floppy might
upset the thing too. Check boot order after floppy
is disabled.

Paul