Old April 7th 15, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.games.development.programming.algorithms
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Men of War: Assault Squad.

The main problem with the current setup in mow is this:

Take the calliope or soldier for example both behave the same way:

I can either:

1. Right click to give a move order.

or

2. A left click to give some weird "attack order" or "it could be a move
order"... "most of the time it's a move order".

If the enemy is there... it will shoot.... sometimes it might shoot most of
the time it moves... it will shoot even if nothing there...

This behaviour alone is already super inconsistent, inconsistency is bad.

Now comes the biggest problem:

3. There is no more mouse button assignment for "attack ground" which is
much more important in this game... especially for artillery pieces.

THIS ISSUE IS MAJOR....

Every second counts in company of heroes... and I would not be surprissed
if that goes in this game too..

Right now the frustation is high... most click a special icon... which is
totally annoying... and the must click somewhere... it probably has to be a
left click... but I am not sure...

It could also be a right click... MAJOR CONFUSION... what do I do after I
"left clicked" the icon ?

There is no logic sense in what click comes next except ... perhaps another
left click ?

So I will try that and see what happens... but... first I want to write
something:

Attack ground commands have to be used... for artillery... and the annoyance
is this command is hidden away somewhere in a menu... yes there is a
shortcut icon somewhere... but this is also confusion... and annoying...
multiple places to do the same command... it's weird... further commands
should be together... not spread across the interface... that's very bad
anyway...

the menu is so tiny it could be easily expanded/grown in size...

What's further bad it didn't remember the inventory location... now I have
to move that screen every game I start.... further annoyance.

I might be able to assign attack ground to double middle mouse button it
seems to be assignable.

escape key cannot be assigned unfortunately...

Futher problem with left clicking in this game: second time left is clicked
it looses focus of the unit... that is very bad..

In a panic game... people might like to left click multiple times out of
panick... or for example lag issues... lag can also cause a left click to
fail....

This is a very bad interface design of men of war...

It's not super bad... but it's not the best...

Consistency is key... design an interface which is constant... which can
have rapid press of the same key... without becoming inconsistent...

Unfortunately... this game is full of inconsistency... I think it may have
been a reason why I avoided it in the past... this game...

But now after seeing the limitations of coh... it's time for something
new...

Perhaps more on the "missing ground attack" option in another posting.

Bye,
Skybuck