Old January 24th 04, 09:15 PM
Anon

"GlueGum" noooo wrote in message
. ..
If I ask this question at a Linux ng, they'll say XP sucks. If I ask at

an
XP ng, they'll say Linux sucks.

From what I've read Mandrake is the best for desktop apps and for newbies
(like me). I've been using windows since 3.11(currently XP home) and was
wondering if anybody here uses Linux, and how does it compare to XP?

You don't have to choose. You can use both on the same computer, if you
have enough hard drive space. If not, stick to XP. I used to dual-boot
linux (mandrake) and windows. It's easy to do if you install windows first.
Just leave part of your hard drive (4GB or so) NOT partitioned when you
install windows. Then when you install linux, linux will automatically set
up a boot menu for you that you can customize.

How does linux compare to xp? Before xp, I would have said that linux was
faster, easier to use, and more stable than windows. Now it's a tie.
Because of xp, I've stopped using linux. Does that mean linux is bad? No.

What it boils down to is that it's practically impossible to use a computer
without windows installed on it. You can do pretty much everything you want
to in linux, but eventually you will find that ONE game or ONE office app.
that you MUST run on windows. I used to run linux for the stability but
also had windows installed for that ~1% or so of the time I used my computer
where I *needed* windows.

With XP, Microsoft has managed to negate most of the reasons for not using
windows. XP is actually a decent operating system, the FIRST ever bought
and/or produced by Microsoft. XP isn't better than linux, but it's not
worse either.

Just stick with XP, IMHO.

If all games and apps. are ported to linux, then the obvious choice will be
different. It hasn't happened yet, so just run XP. You will like linux,
but you won't like it more than XP, and you need windows, so . . . -Dave