Old February 19th 17, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default ASRock motherboards OK?

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 5:39:04 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:

To answer your question, you're going to have to Google
the motherboard model number, and see if someone has figured
out where the sensor is, and what the sensor is made of.
In some cases, it's a thermistor (with a certain popular
value of A,B parameters), and it's located somewhere
near the Southbridge. It's easy when someone else figures
it out, hard if you have to do it yourself :-) I've never
had any success at that "sport".

Motherboard picture (Rev.1)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/ConRo...20R1.0(L1).jpg

Sample of SuperIO with hardware monitor. (Diamond Flower and Itox
merged as far as I know, a couple of motherboard companies.)

http://www.dfi-itox.com/pages/suppor..._EHG_EF_EG.pdf

But even with that info, I can't really be sure where the
upper left pin on the Winbond, what that is soldered to. The
chip does have three channels, and there is an AUXIN.

Paul

OK thanks Paul. From the picture, I did not realize the South Bridge and North Bridge controllers needed such big and fancy passive heat sinks, that's interesting. The South Bridge controller is a different design from the North Bridge, maybe one does more work than the other and gets hotter (the North seems to do more work, but without Googling I don't know).

And I see some 'inductors' (the gold 'rings' in the upper right of the mobo), which I understand in electrical engineering should be avoided (integrate, don't differentiate, if you know your calculus and differential equations), since L's are bulkier than C's.

RL