Old November 19th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
msg

Default Getting a DL380 G1 image

wrote:

I currently have a DL380 G1 that is running netware 5.1 and GroupWise
7.0.2 ...

snip

How do I get an image of this system when it is not running Windows?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Since no one else has replied...

I often need to 'image' drives or arrays on systems that have no
additional slots for HBAs or for which the o/s will not conveniently
support additional mass storage. The most convenient solution for
myself is either:

1. If the drives to be imaged are not boot devices, change out the
boot device in the original system (or boot from a live CD-ROM if
possible) to run a flavor of *nix or even Win2k and use 'dd' to
raw copy the data to a medium of your choice.

2. Remove the drives, or in the case of arrays, the cages and HBAs,
and attach them to a different system running an appropriate o/s
as above to run 'dd'.

In either case be sure to have drivers in advance for the new o/s
to handle the source drives' HBAs.

Last year I dd'ed a Smart2-P array on a Proliant 3000 running
Netware 5.1 by simply swapping the boot drive with one running my
o/s of choice.

Bear in mind that these backups are only useful to restore to
devices with the same geometry or array configuration as used
when creating them.

Regards,

Michael