Old June 12th 11, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Dave Platt

Default Motherboard/PC not booting when no monitor connected ?!? (or switch connections ?)

In article me.nl,
Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

I switched my monitor from GT 520 graphics card to integrated graphics
RADEON 3300 chip/monitor connector.

So there are two hdmi connectors.

I noticed how the computer appeared to refuse to boot when there was no
monitor connected ?!?

Is that normal ? Is this a new kind of motherboard feature ?

There has been a feature in many motherboard BIOSes, for the last
couple of decades, which will deliberately halt the boot process and
wait for operator intervention if certain classes of hardware problems
are detected on boot. Bad or missing floppy drive, bad or missing
keyboard, bad or missing or unusable video adapter... etc.

I would guess that if you don't have the HDMI monitor plugged into
the connector, the video-card driver in the BIOS is failing to
detect any primary monitor, can't configure the video-card output in
the appropriate way, and is reporting a "video output failure"
condition.

The "halt boot on hardware error" behavior can almost always be
configured to some extent, via the BIOS setup screens or a separate
BIOS configuration program. For systems which normally run
unattended, it is common to set this option to "Continue to boot
despite any errors detected by the BIOS".

(Perhaps it's a conspiracy People trying to boot "planks" with "beeps"
will think it's dead and buy a new one ! =))

It's an Ignorance Detector. It selectively identifies computer users
who are (1) ignorant of decades of history of PC history, and (2)
don't bother to read the manual which came with their motherboard.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO