Old January 28th 04, 06:13 AM
Carrie Lyons

Mark Herring wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 03:31:58 GMT, wrote:

I got a bunch of photos that are only 560x700 or so and when I print
them on 8 x 11 the features are not very fine. How can I improve on
it?

Can't add information that is not there. Your file size equates to
~70-80 PPI for 8X10. Good prints need more like 200-300.

you CAN use the un-sharp mask in Photoshop---or some other sharpening
SW to make them look a bit sharper. Also, make sure the contrast is
as high as possible without losing highlight or shadow detail.

I've got an unusual suggestion.

Print out the picture at its natural size on photo paper.

Using good lighting, take a hi-res picture of the picture.
A 3.4 megapixel or greater camera, possibly using a closeup lens.

Print that out at a larger size, a size that still seems to
have all the detail. Repeat until you get the size you want.

I'm not sure why this works, but it does.

It's critical to take good pictures each time.