Old August 9th 04, 10:10 PM
Ben Myers

Suffice it to say that in dealing with clients who have a marked distaste for
Windows ME or reselling low-end refurb P3 systems, I have generally suceeded in
"retrofitting" Windows 98SE onto all brands of hardware including HPaqs and
finding Windows 98SE drivers to cover all chipsets in a computer box.

To be true, Microsoft once again broke some of the driver APIs in the transition
from 98 to ME, but the large majority of them still work, and the drivers
likewise... Ben Myers

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:31:43 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Not in my experience.
HH

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
With a few exceptions, Win ME drivers also work on Win 98... Ben Myers

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 06:10:55 -0400, "HH" wrote:

Going backwards in operating systems (the PC shipped with WinMe) is

always
iffy, driver-wise. Compaq almost never supplies drivers for an OS of

earlier
vintage than what shipped on the PC. If you must do it, you may need to
install a different modem.

HH

"AberTech" wrote in message
Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario desktop PC (5WV250) that I've installed

Windows
98
on. The drivers that I have tried from modem-drivers.com and
driverguide.com haven't worked. A bootable linux distro identified it

as
a:
'Conexant HCF 56k Data/Fax GVC Corporation Compaq Scooter'.

Any Presario 5000 owners with Win98 kind enough to let me know where I

can
download a working driver for this?

Many TIA.