Old May 20th 04, 02:04 AM
Dash

steven67@wrote:
32M x 64 bits, equals 2048Mbits/256MBytes. 32Mx64 indicates a
non-parity 256MB DIMM. 32Mx72 would
indicate an ECC 256MB DIMM.

The second 256MB module, with sixteen 16Mx8 (16M x 8 bits equals

128Mbits) chips is the type needed
for your motherboard. The first 256MB module probably uses eight

256Mbit chips, and would not be
supported by your motherboard.

Thanks for that! Maybe I'm being dumb, but I'm only half way to
understanding.
It's obvious that the first lot of numbers represent the total memory
(256MB), but I'm still not understanding the second lot of numbers.
"16mx8=128Mbits" Is this bandwidth or something? And I'm not sure I
follow when you say the first module would use 256Mbit chips, as I
took the second example to mean that the first module would use
8x16bit chips on one side.
Thanks again,
Dash