Old July 24th 03, 07:02 AM
Vanguard °°°

"rcm" wrote in message
. ca...
That won't work. I try to run a battery one near the computer and

getting
within 5 ft generates interference. It is frequency dependent so it

is much
stronger in the lower AM band.

Use Internet radio to listen I guess.

Since it is RF noise, I'm wondering if there is chance that it is not
the power supply but some other component inside the system unit that
causes the interference. Have you opened the case and unplugged the
power supply from the motherboard and other devices and then powered it
on to see if the noise reappears with just the power supply running?

Normally an ATX-style power supply will not turn on unless it is
connected to a motherboard. To test an ATX-style power supply without a
motherboard connection, short the PS-On signal (pin 14) to a ground
(pins 3, 5, 7, 13, 15, 16 or 17) in the 20-pin Molex connector; see
http://www.hardwaresite.net/faqpowersupply.html. Then you'll know if it
really is the power supply generating the noise or if some other
component, like a slot card, is causing the noise.

If running the power supply by itself produces no RF noise in your AM
radio, reattach the 20-pin Molex connector to the motherboard (with
power off, of course), leave all drives disconnected from power, and
remove all cards in the slots, even the video card. Power on (the boot
will fail due to the missing video card) to see if the noise is still
there. If not, power down, add a card (start with the video card), and
test again. If none of the cards are generating the noise, then start
hooking up the drives one at a time and test. What cards do you have
installed in the slots? Any tuner cards?

If you have a metal case, check that the grounding clips engage at the
bottom edges or wherever the cover slides onto the shell. If you don't
have any grounding clips to ensure the cover gets grounded to the shell,
I suppose you could try using aluminum foil folded over with enough
layers to wedge between the cover and shell but this would get damaged
when you next removed the cover and might not stay in place (I haven't
tried this so I don't know how well this works). I'm not sure what to
do if you have a plastic-only cover other than maybe spraying its inside
with metal conductive paint but that wouldn't survive much wear if you
frequently open your system unit.