Old July 24th 03, 06:31 AM
Vanguard °°°

Try to propose solutions that Randy can actually implement. Yes, he can
replace his power supply with a better unit. You're assuming he has
$80, or more, to waste on a new power supply AND that he is going to
install it rather than having to pay a shop to install it. Preaching
the best solution regardless of financial constraints doesn't help.
Others had already offered (or I expected others to offer) the high-road
solution, so I proffered a lower cost solution. I didn't say it was the
best solution. I just offered it as one possible solution and a
different one than the expected solution. There is no point to post a
"me-too" duplicate solution; a dozen replies of "get a better power
supply" doesn't give Randy many options for a solution. Of course,
another suggestion might be that Randy build a massive antenna with
active filtering and shielding just for his little AM radio but that
would be pointless without regard to Randy's financial, educational, and
physical constraints.

Ranting about the use of low-quality components as being a problem with
lack of education in techs regarding specifications doesn't help Randy,
either. It just illustrates that you are ****ed off about the situation
but also that you don't seem to realize that it is the consumers that
dictate the use of low-quality components in low-priced consumer-grade
computers. Buy cheap, get cheap. Wow, what a revelation. MacDonalds
and BurgerKing exist because there are enough consumers that want
low-priced low-quality food. Same for computers or any other product
where enough consumers are willing to sacrifice quality to get a cheap
price. The business of business is to stay in business so you sell to
whomever is willing to buy for whatever they want to buy at the price
they will pay. Using cheap power supplies has nothing to do with the
lack of education by techs but has everything to do with consumer
economics. Randy probably cannot effect a change in the industry or
influence a worldwide populace of consumers, so stop spewing farts at
him about problems in the industry (which is simply matching consumer
demands) or that these low-grade low-priced components don't follow
specs (since it is obvious to everyone that paying the lowest price does
NOT result in getting the highest quality).

You are also lambasting Randy that he has a cheap power supply.
Components (within components) do fail, so maybe his power supply was
okay but went bad and he needs to get a new one - but another one of the
exact same model might be just as good and resolve the problem without
having to waste money on a solution that far exceeds his requirements.
Your kid wants a wrist watch. Do you get him a $20 Timex or a
mega-grand Rolex? Both are solutions but obviously one fits better
within your financial constraints.

I expected other posters to state the obvious solution and Randy already
suspected the power supply, so I provided a different solution rather
than fixating on the most costly, most time consuming, and most
disruptive solution.