Old June 1st 11, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_5_]

Default Another startling discovery: AMD's cool & quiet doesn't work and does exactly the opposite ?!?

I noticed an option in the bios which I hadn't seen before it's called
something like "cpu fan control" or something...

So I decided to test it first, but it doesn't work.

But I did notice a strange activity from my floppy drive.

Then I rebooted again and this time disabled the fan control and the cool n
quiet.

I booted again into windows, strangely enough the energy saving was still on
?!?

According to the GUI it did seem to save some energy like 10 watts or so...

Very strange, perhaps a strange inconsistency between software and
hardware/bios.

Then I turned IES off and tried to turn it back on but it said: "cool n
quiet must be enabled".

So it was not possible anymore to enable it... and the wattage jumped up
from a fluctuating 15 to stable 21 watts.

So perhaps it is possible to run "IES" and "cool n quiet" off with this
trick but I wouldn't do it... since the CPU temperature was still at 34
degrees, which could indicate that it was still fluctuating... so perhaps
the CPU is controlled by the motherboard... thus the motherboard and it's
software first have to be configured to be in a stable/consistent state.

Now that IES is off the CPU temperature is back again at a stable 31 degrees
celcius.

Motherboard temperature is now 30 degrees celcius so this is now slightly
higher... not sure
why that is... perhaps because of the reboot.

Or perhaps a different explanation is required... perhaps "cool n quiet" is
not about "keeping the cpu cool" but "keeping the motherboard cool"...

So what the fok was "cool n quiet designed for ?!? What is it supposed to
keep cool ?!?

That's a pretty good question !

The bios does mention "system" and not necessarily cpu... so perhaps "cool n
quiet" was designed for "total system temperature".

Well I shall keep a close eye on motherboard temperature to see what happens
to it...

However a 1 degree difference is probably nothing to severe....

However the CPU temperature is now at 35 degrees celcius... Perhaps ambient
room temperature is rising too it's now 22.5 degrees room temperature.

Don't know what it was previously...

Well currently it doesn't seem to make much difference... CPU temperature is
now back at 35 degrees while cool n quiet is off.... or perhaps
trying to turn it on confused it ?!? very strange... there is not much cpu
activity... except me typing... perhaps that does consume some cpu.

So I will now stop a little bit and see what happens perhaps live mail does
consume lot's of cpu... it's fluctuating towards 50 to 60 procent.

Hmm cpu temperature now back to 31 degree celcius... perhaps it's because of
task manager over the desktop background.

Now 32 degrees celcius... now 33 degree celcius... cpu activity is high
while I type this...

Floppy drive just went active again... very strange...

Perhaps somebody trying to hack me

Or perhaps it's microsoft virus scanner

Or perhaps a motherboard malfunction... hmmm strange.

There seems to be some net activity while nothing major is running so that's
a bit strange...

Well for now I am gonna let cool n quiet be off, since I probably don't like
power fluctuations...

Added benefit is perhaps quicker system response times...

Unless motherboard temperature rises further I would enable it again...

On the other hand having a stable system power wise is interesting... at
least this doesn't lead to sudden strange power/watt/heat increases while
doing something...

So perhaps this is better

Bye,
Skybuck.