Old December 8th 07, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Default gforce 8500 gt or 8600 gs?

harry wrote:
hi all,

can u hlp me pls
there are two desktop systems one with geforce 8500gt the otherone with
8600gs. i know there should not be a 8600gs but a 8600m gs, but the item is
a desktop and not a mobile unit !!
i am a líttle confused.
the salesman says 8500 gt is much better because it is a "t" series

- i just want to know which one is better

- is it possible to install a 8600m gs in a desktop?? since it seems to be
designed for laptops ....

tks a lot
harry

I've not heard of it being integrated into any motherboards yet, so I'd
assume your salesmonkey is full of it. Generally the 8500GT as a
desktop card is very underpowered. It's useful as a HTPC or replacement
card (like older 6200's or a 7300).

An 8600GT in a respectable system offers surprisingly good performance
though. I just had my brother replace his 7600GT with a 8600GT and the
performance in games like UT3 is very good all considering.