Old April 4th 06, 04:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg

Default 7800GS graphics card... worth it?

wrote:
Most of the fancy new cards are PCI-Express only, and I can't really
use 'em unless I overhaul my entire system. So at this point... is the
7800GS worth my $300? Or would I be stupid to spend any money on a
dead technology?

Depends. What card do you have at the moment?

Going from a Radeon 9500 Pro to 7800GS trebled frame-rates in most
games and benchmarks and increased the 3DMark06 score by a factor of
ten. Older games like NOLF2, Guild Wars and HL2 run OK at 2048x1536
with 4xAA (haven't tried the HL2 Lost Coast level, though), and FEAR
runs fine with most settings maxed (no AA and 4xAF) at 1280x960: I
think the FEAR performance tester gave min and max of 25fps and 85fps.

So if you're upgrading from a older card you'll see a big boost,
particularly in more recent games. If it's a Radeon X800, Geforce 6800
or later, maybe it won't be worthwhile: though the X800 doesn't have
SM3.0 and the 7800GS does.

Mark