Old May 23rd 10, 03:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
~hp-hdx~

Default what's the reset button for on the bottom of laptops?

On 5/22/2010 5:15 PM, ~hp-hdx~ wrote:
Hi,
On some laptops there is a micro switch on the bottom.
What's it for?
Thanks,
Al

What brand and model laptop did you see this on?

I've seen it on a few laptops, but don't recall make and models.
I had one recently,I think it was a dell, that wouldn't boot at all. zilch.
I mean totally dead system.
After swapping out what I could with no joy,
I pressed the microswitch on the bottom and the laptop booted. I
think it may be a thermal overload circuit breaker like you find on some
appliances, but
I haven't been able to find out for sure, that's why I asked this group.
I'm typing this on a one year old hp HDX and it doesn't have one. My 5 year
old Compaq Presario
doesn't have one either, I just checked. I keep notes on the systems I work
on, but I'll be on the
road until late July and won't be back with my notes until then. At that
time I can tell you at least
on make and model for sure.