Old August 21st 04, 10:39 PM
Ed Light

If you don't have any supercomputing to do, just getting a Barton 2500 is
quite an economical way to go amazingly faster [than the Duron 700]. But
better check that your motherboard supports it at its web site. Probably
not. It may take a Tbred 2400, though, possibly requiring you to update your
bios. You can check the cpu compatibility chart and the bios updates.

Be aware that it will run much hotter and needs a better heatsink and a case
fan blowing out the back.

You could even get the slowest Tbred and sit and wait until 64 bit prices
come down. The slowest Tbred will just blow your Duron away.

Except -- if you're just web browsing and playing web streams, you might not
notice a difference. I'm typing this and web browsing with my cpu cut back
to 500 mhz. I'll only take it up to 2075 if I have to do something
intensive. [Mobile cpu with cpu msr software on kt400. 5.5 volts. 34C @ 500,
41C @ 2075, idling.]

However, it is noticeable with those web pages that freeze and can't be
scrolled for awhile until they've loaded an app. Very noticeable difference.

Such wisdom already! ;-)
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/