Old October 15th 06, 10:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Default GF 7950 GT

In article . com,
"Grimscythe" wrote:

With the new PC that I'm gonna have on Monday, I will have a 7950 GT in
it.
I was reading about the specs for it and I can't find much difference
between it and the 7900 GTX.
Technically speaking...if I just raise the clock speed of the 7950 GT
can I get it to essentially be a 7900 GTX or am I missing something?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/

7950 GT G71 PCI-Express 512MB GDDR3 570Mhz 700Mhz
256 Bits 16 / 24 / 8 DX9.0, PS3.0, VS3.0

7900 GTX G71 PCI-Express 512MB GDDR3 650Mhz 800Mhz
256 Bits 16 / 24 / 8 DX9.0, PS3.0, VS3.0

Of course, every manufacturer has some tricks up their sleeve,
like cheating on some parameter above. Within the same Nvidia
product number, some use more capable of overclocking RAM than
others. YMMV.

The high end cards have a high enough failure rate (10%), that
I would not bother overclocking them. Better a card that works,
than a card you have to return under warranty. I hope the
card you got, has a "lifetime warranty" in any case, as that
may be more important from a value perspective, than 80MHz
of core speed. You want the card you buy, to be warranted for
at least as long as you plan on keeping the card.

Paul