Old September 21st 03, 02:42 AM
h2so4

"Aaron Chan" wrote in message
Hey all,

I am currently using a 17" CRT monitor at 1024x768 @ 85Hz. I am

planning
to buy an LCD monitor. My question is, will I notice anything different in
terms of viewing area if I buy a 15" LCD monitor? Will it be smaller,

bigger
or the same? As well as this, will there be more or less flickering? Since

think 15" LCD monitors run at a native resolution of 1024x768 @ 75Hz.

Another question, would I be better off getting a 17" LCD? And as well
as this, are LCDs good for gaming? I am looking to buy this LCD monitor:

* Samsung 15" 153 TFT LCD Monitor *

Has anyone used/tried this? How good is it?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Chan

I've just bought my first LCD monitor, a 17" Benq FP 791. My previous
monitor was a 19" Mitsubishi. The screen on the 17" LCD is half an inch
smaller than the 19" CRT, although the LCD is much clearer to work with. If
you intend to play games you should look for an LCD with a 20 or 16Ms
refresh rate, otherwise you'll get ghosting. For example EIZO LCDs are great
for graphics but useless for games. I was going to buy an LG 18" model but
was messed about by a retailer who made false claims about having it in
stock. However, I'm now glad I didn't because it's not too great for games.
I know nothing about the Samsung so I can't comment on that. I think my BenQ
is a terrific monitor and it has got some great reviews in PC Plus, PC Pro,
PC Adviser and others. Mine came with a fee AV box that provides a TV tuner
and the means to connect your monitor to a VCR, DVD player and something
else but I don't use it. BenQ do a 15" model, the FP591. These BenQs are
marginally more expensive that some similar LCDs but they're great general
purpose screens. I'd never heard of BenQ until I read the review but I'm
glad I bought it.