Old August 25th 04, 06:04 AM
Bushy

"deimos" wrote in message
Bushy wrote:

hope you guys can be of some help.

I purchsed this card off ebay, knowing full well that it was having
problems. The seller reported blue screens with "irq not less or equal"
errors. After looking them up online, it appeared that was most likely a
hardware conflict or dodgy ram, i'll have one bid i thought.

(un)fortunately my one bid won the thing, and it arrived today.

I uninstalled the drivers i had, and installed the "new" card. The

problems
were almost immediate. thin blue lines the vertical length of the srceen
during post, then blue and grey lines for the windows xp booting screen,
then ....nothing. the screen went into sleep mode, like it was recieving

no
signal.

any ideas anyone? could it be a power issue? could the ram on the card

be
stuffed? could it be a different wy of reporting teh same error the

seller
had?

Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Bushy

I'm thinking the guy tried a RF mod on it or overvolting. That's a
little too messed up and any retail card could have easily been RMA'd.
The seller most likely fub'd it himself.

Also, IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors aren't always indicative of hardware
problems. Bad chipset driver (like older VIA's and cheap mobos) have
that problem too. So did some earlier Detonators with certain
configurations.

There's nothing you can do if the ram is bad, so you're stuck with a
lemon. Make it lemonade and give him some crap feedback though Just
for ****s and giggles.

well, after some futzing about with xfx tech support, they tell me to join
the forums on their web page. lo and behold what do i find? dozens of
unhappy xfx 5900 variant owners not happy, with vertical lines on startup
and no windows. lucky for them they bought their cards from retailers, so
the tech administartors response is, not surprisingly, RMA the thing. Not
and option for me.now i wait to see if there is actually a service or
repairs centre in australia that can fix my paperweight.