Old October 25th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

Default eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2: power supply requirements

That card requires at least a 400 watt PSU to power it adequately. If you
drive your computer with too underpowered of a PSU you can severely damage
most of the electronics in your system (motherboard chipset, harddrives,
RAM, video card, etc.) The system will try to draw adequate wattage from
the PSU, be unable to, and the components will begin destructing.
A general rule in computers is do NOT buy a cheap underpowered PSU.
EVERYTHING else in the system depends on it.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Z Man" wrote in message
I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to
run the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video
card state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power
supply, what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower,
etc.?

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.