Old May 21st 17, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default future CPUs from AMD and Intel

On Fri, 19 May 2017 02:54:59 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I do geophysical processing. Running parallel code on a Phenom II X6 or
LGA2011 i7 would have 5 cores going 100% and the "boss" core about 25%.
That would get the stock cooler screaming at max RPM.
Generally, one finds that fastest desktop CPU is a few 100 MHz over the
equivalent server CPU. Seems that the Xeon/Opteron were made to max out,
but it was assumed that a desktop will not thrash all cores. So if you
have an application that manages that, you might get hot.

Heya - I'd be surprised if a larger CoolerMaster wouldn't handle a X6
FX -- Phenom/Vishnu series, which most probably would not be an
E-series (lower energy draws), but within 95-watt averages for a $50
CPU, I saw on sale three weeks ago. And equally unsurprised, as you
say, if a stock cooler indeed would run into issues with heavy
processing loads. I wouldn't as a motif go after trashing all cores,
but I'd at least very much like to see that it could take the stress,
within reasonable resulting temps -- among at least a few givens: the
first being, free CPU coolers, including stock, may require research
and an additional cost outlay for a suitable replacement.