Old November 14th 04, 08:34 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 21:51:20 -0600, Joe wrote:

A Sempron 2800 @ 2GHZ for $109
A Athlon64 2800 @ 1.8GHZ for $130
A XP Barton 2800 @ 2.08GHZ for $152

Based on my computer knowledge I would think the Athlon 64 would be the
fastest of the three so buy it.

That would be correct.

Based on what I remember AMD saying when they went to this rating system
as apposed to MHZ naming they should all perform the same so buy the
sempron it's the cheapest.

And that would be a big mistake. See Sempron in link in sig.

Based the idea you get more when you spend more buy the Barton it should
be the fastest of the bunch.

Another big mistake.

Then you get into Socket choice. Time was everything 1200 to 3000 was
socket A. This allowed a cheap build with major upgrade capabilities.
Now There is Socket A, 754,939 and 940. Now the 754's are best priced
but I think I heard AMD was moving everything to 939. I do not want to
buy a 754 if its lifespan is only going to be 2800-3600. I somewhat feel
like I got burnt on my first AMD purchase ever as I bought a 650 SLOT A
and Slot A was dead a few hundred MHZ later.

And that's why I waited for socket A, but don't sell the socket 754 short.
A socket 754 Sempron 3100+ overclocked is probably the best bang for the
buck around, and If I hadn't already bought an A64 3000+ some time back,
that might be what I'd buy now. You're going to hear almost everyone here
say to go with 939 because of the dual channel ram. Well that dual
channel doesn't really do much for you in reality. So get your priorities
together. Is a 3% increase in performance worth all the extra money 939
will cost compared to a 754 cpu clocked at the same speed? If so, then get
939, if not.......

I am thinking about going ahead and spending $210 and buying an Athlon
64 Winchester core 939 as I want the most bang for my buck but also do
not want to tie my hands on upgrade options.

Am I completely lost? If I am can you straighten me out?

Well 754 will limit you a little on the top end, but not by much.
Personally, for under $200 I would get a Sempron 3100+ on S754 and clock
it to about 2.5GHz or more. It's a great overclocker. If you need 64bit,
then maybe a new A64 2800+ core and do the same.