Old June 2nd 04, 05:10 AM
jpsga

Ya know, something looks wrong.
I assume the drives are 6Y120P0

Average is 69.9 ?? Gee, that's (Max+Min)/2. This is a strait line average
and we shouldn't have a strait line from 103 to 34.2.

Min Read speed 34.2MB/s. That's is the Min for a single drive with no RAID.

Max Speed 103.0 MB/s That what I get on a 32bit bus.

Are you happy with the test software? The Cossacks would not let me get the
..ZIP file, so I couldn't look at it.

Maybe we are both wrong about the advantages of PCI X. I am going to look
into it.
Jim

"Jan Kalin" wrote in message
In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte, you wrote:
Good luck on your adventure. I envy you those Diamond Max 9's. Would like

know what speeds you get and how you measured same
Jim

The FastTrak TX2000 controller is now in, disks arranged in a 2x2 array
(240GB of mirrored and striped disks), NT driver installed and things are
looking good.

The system consists of:
GigaByte GA-7DPDXDW-P
dual Athlon MP 1800 CPUs
1GB RAM
4x Maxtor DiamondMax 9 120GB (user)
1x IBM Deskstar 20GB (system + backup)
1x IBM Deskstar 80GB (removable)
Matrox G400 Dualhead with 2x Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 17"
Windows NT4+SP6

I just checked speed with "Drive!", obtained from
http://www.xponik.spb.ru/drive/index.html (the actual file is
ftp://xponik.spb.ru/pub/hdd/Drive_10.zip). The speeds I get a

Avg. Linear Read Speed: 69.9 MB/s
Min. Linear Read Speed: 34.2 MB/s
Max. Linear Read Speed: 103.0 MB/s
Avg. Access Time: 11.9 ms
Max. Cache Read Speed: 132.1 MB/s

It took 45 seconds to make a copy of a 635MB AVI file - 14 MB/s read and
write on the same disk.

Theoretically I should get 266 MB/s. Seeing 132.1 MB/s (approx. half of
266) as the top cache read speed (i.e., just shuffling data across the
bus) makes me wonder if I have a bus issue. The RAID controler *is* in a
64bit, 66MHz slot, but I don't have bus mastering turned on (I had a bad
experience once when the data on disks got trashed and I cannot afford to
do so with the work computer).

Cheers, Jan

--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng/, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"