Old January 11th 05, 01:28 AM
Paul

In article , "Paul Busby"
wrote:

Thus spake Paul:
I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

Just what I wanted to know Paul, so thanks for that. I'm toying with the
idea of replacing my XP1800+ with an XP2400 m & 2x512 PC3200 to replace my
Crucial 2x256 sticks. My concern was that the Crucial RAM isn't recommended
by Asus but do they update these recommendations - probably not for an "old"
m/b such as this one.

My purchase was just like everyone else - "pays your money,
takes your chances". I mean, when the QVL still has Winbond
based DIMMs listed (Winbond going out of production more than
a year ago), what good is such a QVL ? Asus just doesn't seem
to be that interested in maintaining their QVLs.

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?langs=09&m=A7N8X (see bottom of page)

I didn't know whether this RAM would work or not, and
it was either pick the Ballistix (with the latest Micron
chip rev on it) or pick one of the other six suppliers
selling CAS2 Samsung TCCD ram (like Corsair 3200XL). I selected
the Ballistix partially based on being able to easily move it
between my A7N8X-E and P4C800-E. So far, no problems on either
board, running at stock PC3200 speeds, 2-2-2-6, dual channel.

My purchase was the process of elimination. Reports of certain
CAS3 sticks not working, some cheap CAS3 I already had that
wouldn't work without errors, reading reports of PC4000 memory
not fixing the problem on the A7N8X etc - that left CAS2 as the
only other alternative. So I got lucky...

Not all chipsets are this bad, but it would seem that there
are still designs out there (including some of the Athlon64
processors) that aren't really that happy at DDR400.

It is a lot like "high tech roulette" :-)

Paul