Old January 10th 05, 07:41 PM
Paul

In article , Lou
wrote:

I'm building a new PC with an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe and an Athlon XP
2800+ (Barton). I want to install two 512MB PC3200 modules to run in
dual channel mode at 200MHz. (or maybe 166 MHz. to match the bus
frequency - I think I've read that with the Atholn XP, synchronous at
the lower speed is actually faster).

The problem is that I just can't find memory with the exact same part
number as listed on the ASUS web site as having been tested. (I can't
find a list for the -E Deluxe but there is one for the A7N8X Deluxe
and I assume they are the same memory-wise).

www.newegg.com has a two module kit (2 X 512) of TWINMOS for $140 and
TWINMOS is on the list, but with no specific part number.

www.ms4me.com has a two module kit (2 X 512) of Samsung memory for
about $150 and htey have a 100% positive feedback rating on PriceWatch
but they don't show the manufacturers full part number either.

Has anybody here used either of these memories on an A7N8X / A7N8X-E
Deluxe or have anyother advice for me.

I appreciate it.

Louis

There is a thread here on TwinMOS:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49071

There are also plenty of other threads on nforcershq about memory:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51516

My suspicion, is that you'll find few problems running a
couple of generic CAS3 sticks at 166MHz (DDR333). But, if you
want to run at DDR400 (say when you are overclocking the
FSB of your new processor, and running FSB and memory in
sync), then expect trouble.

If you want to play at DDR400, pick up some CAS2 (low
latency) PC3200 memory. That seems to work better than
buying CAS3 PC4000 type memory.

Looking in the Newegg memory lists, this is the cheapest
CAS2 product I can find. Mushkin PC3200 2x512 Blue Dual
pack 2-3-3 memory for $182.

On one of the threads on nforcershq.com, about memory,
one user reported brands that worked and didn't work. It
will take you a while to sift through all the threads, but
that is the only way to find memory that actually works.

When judging the threads, the users reporting their results
should have used memtest86/prime95 to test the memory, and
list the memory settings used. They should have used
enough Vdimm to get the memory to work well (like 2.6 to
2.8V). You'll find many reports from people who are not using
taxing configurations for their hardware (like only 166MHz),
or from people who are unaware of the need to test the memory,
and their experiences are best ignored.

Start here, and click "search for all terms" to get logical
AND in your searches:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/search.php

I use Ballistix PC3200 at DDR400 2-2-2-6 and find it is error
free in dual channel mode. But it is a little more expensive
than the Mushkin. If you only plan to ever run the memory
at DDR333 (166MHz), you may not need to bother with the more
expensive memories.

I took a look at the Newegg customer reviews for some of their
cheapest memories, and unfortunately there are very few reports
from people who test their memories properly. Since the cheapest
memories involve a mixture of stick designs (can change from
lot to lot), there is really no way of knowing what you'll get.
If you want to play "bargain memory" games, it is best to do that
with a vendor having a generous return policy, or use a local
vendor who will accept returns or allow upgrading. Make sure the
memory has a warranty of longer than one year, as I've been burnt
twice by memory failures (on cheap generic "sale" memory) just
after the one year warranty expired. Dammit, I want to own my
memory, not rent it :-)

HTH,
Paul