Old May 31st 04, 01:19 AM
Gymmy Bob

Be sure to reformat the SD card in your camera before use! You may not get
any warning of impending doom for your photographs.

"RFJ" wrote in message
"Noozer" wrote in

"KILOWATT" wrote in message
Hi everyones! Thanks to read.
I've bought an internal Flash card reader/floppy drive combo that you
can see he http://www.directron.com/fa404.html I'm running it
under Windows98SE with the appropriate driver (Win2000/ME/XP doesn't
need a driver). I've cheated since i'll buy my digicam only in a week
or two, but

wanted to get done at setting up the card reader 1st. I've bought
also an

SD
256Mb card from Transcend. Tested the reader with a friend's Memory
Stick and could read his pictures without any problem. Later during
the evening,

did some tests with my 256Mb SD card. I tried to transfer files to it
and then discovered a problem. For a few files there's no problem,
but when i try to write hundreds of .jpg files (no i'm not exceding
the capacity of

the
card...!), i eventually end up by geting the message: "The directory
or

file
cannot be created" and the transfer stops. What have been transfered

before
this error message appears is ok.

There is a limit of how many files you can put into a single
directory... Can you put folders onto the memory stick? Can you put
more files into those folders?

There is a limit of 512 files in the Root directory of a FAT16 drive, but
no practical limit to the number of files in a directory (folder).

So to solve Kilowatt's problem, create a folder on the SD card and copy

the
files into that.

Alternatively format the card as FAT32 which doesn't have the root
limitation - the disadvantage being that many digital cameras don't

support
the FAT32 file system.