Old November 15th 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

Default Question about cmos battery and symptoms

"janger" wrote in message
Hey all.

My computer started acting up a few days ago and it's driving me crazy
trying to work out the problem.

So for now I just want to ask: Can a bad or flat cmos battery cause
things such as hard disk crash, IDE problems, and maybe even dvd
burner firmware corruption?

First symptom of a dead CMOS battery is a 'checksum error' followed by a
'hit (some key) to enter setup' message.
Sounds like a PSU problem or maybe a loose (or damaged) ribbon cable.