Old April 3rd 04, 08:09 AM
Hupjack

I bought an Asus Radeon 9600XT for my most recent box. The video is
excellent, it has DVI, dual monitor support, and video capture. Best of

all
it isn't very expensive.

looks like a great suggestion.. it certainly does look like a kick ass
card for a decent price.
I suppose $170.00 for that bad boy isn't super expensive. I guess only the
XT has video capture... I like the lesser price of this Rosewill 9600SE
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...164-006&depa=0
but no video capture.
For that matter, I also like the amazing $30 price tag at Frys right now for
this PNY GeForce4 MX440
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...133-086&depa=0

I mean $30!!! I can almost get six of them for the same price as that ATI
card. Of course I'd have 6 cards, none of which would have video capture
:-)
Funny.... Kris warned me to stay away from the GeForce4 MX, as if he had a
premonition that I was going to be drawn to that frys price. Are they
really that bad? I mean they can't be worse than my Asus V7100 GeForce2 Pro
and I'm feeling quite zippy with that card. I wouldn't even be ditching it
if I didn't feel the need to switch the motherboard to the A7N8X that I
meant to get.

Now I've got more options to consider.. in today's frys add I spotted this
Dazzle multimedia external usb option
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/menusuppo...roduct_id=1427 on sale for
$40, a similar avermedia USB 2.0 dealy bopper
http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVe...aker_usb.shtml for $50, and an
avermedia analog capture card for $40
http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVerDVD_ezMaker.shtml.

so I guess there is more out there than just the badass $260 Canopus
ADVC-100 and the AIW cards.
I gotta admit, I'm really tempted by the $30 PNY GeForce4 MX440. I could
also get one of these external USB deals, and I'd still be at less than half
the price of a Radeon 9600XT.

This Radeon 8500DV is pretty attractive too
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...02-195R&depa=0
but the refurb might be a bit of trouble. I wouldn't get any of the cables?
It says no DVI to VGA Adaptor, but there are a lot of other important cables
too.. No input output adapter with the refurb? Does ATI hook you up if you
call them up and say you got a refurb and need the cables?